Chaos Ranch - Powow Camp and Ride
- Airhead Events
- 03.06.2020 - 03.08.2020
Where - Private family property just outside Oracle AZ
When - March 6 - 8, 2020
Thursday Early Arrivals:
Depending on participation and interest.
- Linda Vista Gallery Visit
- GS Ride local roads host guided
- Dinner on your own - bring food to cook or local dining
Friday Arrival -
Saturday - Loop Ride
- GS Loop - Chaos Ranch to Summer Haven, Mt Lemmon lunch stop then down paved highway to Tucson, coffee stop then round the horn and back to Oracle via 77 through Oro Valley - 25 miles of intermediate to advanced gravel road / double track riding on the “Mt Lemon Highway” from Oracle to to the top of Mt. Lemmon.
We hope the back road is open this year...
- Tour Bike Route - Oracle to Tucson via 77, crossing the foothills of the Catalina’s along Skyline Drive to the East Catalina Highway connecting to the paved end of the Mt. Lemmon Highway to Summer Haven
Both groups meet at Summer Haven for lunch then ride together back down the paved side for a coffee stop on Skyline drive before returning to Oracle for BT, and tall tales of each version of the adventure.
Some of the attractions in the area:
- AZ Trail Hiking up to Oracle Ridge
- AZ Zip Line Adventures - 1 mile down the road
- Rancho Linda Vista Gallery - may have an opening that weekend, but can visit either way
- Pepersauce Campground - Day visit or alternate camping - my place is nicer, but just an option
- Pepersauce Cave - spelunking opportunity for those who are so inclined
- American Flag Ranch; a historical site, former Pony Express Station and now museum and trail head.
- Biosphere II is just 10 miles away for tour and sigh seeing.
Of course many miles of GS trails, but plenty of paved roads down into the valley below and toward historic Benson and Bisbee AZ.
To cover the cost of porta-potty rental and other expenses, I am asking for a $20 donation for the weekend and a collection jar for the beer or BYOB.
Friday - Taco Night
- Breakfast & coffee before the loop ride
- Dinner - Collaborative / Pot-luck. Plan to shop for food on return trip from Tucson and grill, fry or whatever hits the spot. Multiple kitchens and outdoor cooking facilities available.
Sunday - Coffee at camp, then breakfast ride to cafe in Oracle
The Zip Line has a pizza kitchen for lunches, they close at 5P. There are a couple restaurants in Oracle town center about 8 miles from my place - Mexican, modern cafe for breakfast and lunch and the Oracle Inn a "Steak House".
I have plenty of kitchen and outdoor cooking facilities for on prem food prep etc.
Two cabins - contact host in advance
Plenty of tent space