The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon adhesive for type plate on starter cover?

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #3486 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic adhesive for type plate on starter cover?
OK, I finally dug up the tape I used. Sorry it took so long. It's Scotch (3M) "Extreme Mounting Tape" and has a red backing and is 1" wide. This tape is also good for attaching flat, rim-mount type wheel weights.

Here's A Link With A Picture Of The Tape

3M Instructions

1. Make sure all surfaces are clean and dry. 2. Cut 2 inches of tape for every 1 pound. Do not remove protective liner yet. 3. Apply tape to back of object-press firmly on liner for good adhesive contact. 4. Remove liner and press object firmly into place on wall. Note: for optimal bond performance apply when temperature is between 70 degrees F and 100 degrees F. This is a permanent tape and may cause damage if removed. If you must remove the object, insert a knife behind the object and carefully cut the tape down the middle. Remove remaining tape with thumbnail. Not recommended for use on wallpaper and other delicate surfaces. Do not use in spaces where injury might occur if mounted object fell.

I don't know that this was the "best" solution, but it certainly was less messy than dealing with the stringy Weatherstrip Adhesive. And the foam backing easily conforms to surface irregularities. BUT, when you go to place it, you had better place that emblem EXACTLY where you want it, becasue you do NOT get a second chance.

Hope this helps.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Wobbly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #3487 by 12990
Replied by 12990 on topic adhesive for type plate on starter cover?
I did take a look around for the plio-bond, but to no avail...Did, however, find that Gorilla makes a double sided tape as well...I'll do that task after I get it back together - maybe tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks ya guys

More
1 year 6 months ago #3588 by afish
Replied by afish on topic adhesive for type plate on starter cover?
I’ve used high temperature silicone with great success

More
2 months 1 week ago #5325 by 14974
Replied by 14974 on topic adhesive for type plate on starter cover?
When using the 3M , ensure it is "Yellow SUPER Weatherstrip And Gasket Adhesive, Stage 2, AUTO Advanced. Anything else will not hold long-term. Have been doing upholstery work for over 40 years and I have found this to be superior to all other adhesives for this application.

More
4 weeks 1 hour ago #5525 by 6486
Would a new style starter cover work with my clam shell air box. Does it fit up right?

More
3 weeks 3 days ago - 3 weeks 3 days ago #5530 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic adhesive for type plate on starter cover?
The way to answer that is to go look at the part numbers on the on-line parts fiche for various starter covers. Compare the PN on the years before and after your model, and on similar models. A change in PN means the part changed. If the change isn't obvious, then you can conclude it's in the "fit".

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
Last edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Wobbly.

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.261 seconds