The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Timing Covers & Oil Coolers

• Humble Bub
  • Humble Bub's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
1 week 3 days ago - 5 days 1 hour ago #6889 by Humble Bub
Timing Covers & Oil Coolers was created by Humble Bub
One morequick question. I can’t seem to get the front cover off as oil cooler impeding. Is it necessary to remove the oil cooler or is there a ‘trick’ to getting it off without removing?
Last edit: 5 days 1 hour ago by Wobbly. Reason: Mods altered title

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #6890 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic Timing Covers & Oil Coolers
I've changed the Subject line to more accurately reflect your new question, HB.

Yes, the oil cooler needs to come off. Or at least it does on my '95 RT and '93 GS with the TouraTech relocation kit.

Remove the screws on either end of the oil cooler and leave the bracket in place, and you should have all the clearance you need.

And once again, don't forget to disconnect the ground cable at the battery before you try to remove the front cover. If you don't, and the cover shorts out against the diode board, there's a good chance you'll be replacing the diode board, too. DAMHIKT...

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Humble Bub
  • Humble Bub's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
1 week 3 days ago #6892 by Humble Bub
Replied by Humble Bub on topic Timing Covers & Oil Coolers
Thanks Scot, both for the reply and moving the thread. Yep, on disconnecting battery. I have a healthy respect for smoke and won’t touch anything remotely related to any wire without pulling the negative battery cable. First ya get old then ya get smart(er).

More
1 week 3 days ago #6893 by arni
Replied by arni on topic Timing RPM
Yeah, on my '83 RS I got sick of that the first time I had to do it. So I fabricated a new bracket. Now I can reach in from one side with a long handled allen T wrench, Loosen two screws and just swing the cooler up and out of the way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Humble Bub

More
5 days 30 minutes ago #6943 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Timing Covers & Oil Coolers
My experience on the road models ('81 and '88) is that the Oil Cooler is mounted to the frame with a single 8mm bolt at top center. Using a 13mm wrench remove that bolt and the cooler is free to drop down, constrained only by the 2 oil lines.

Actually, I hate the oil coolers. In GA the temps are so moderate that I remove them and opt for the MAC Deep Sump oil pan. I don't ever plan to ride out west, in fact I never leave the garage above 90°F. The complexity of the oil cooler design strikes me as a totally in-elegant, design-by-committee solution. (On par with God asking for a horse, and the design committee coming back with the camel.) You can definitely tell that the "car group" were in total control of the "motorcycle design group" when this thing emerged from the company.

shop.macperformance.com/MAC-BMW-Twins-19...l-Sump-Pan-98101.htm

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.230 seconds