The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Setting Alpha Ignition Timing

• Barron Von Parry
  • Barron Von Parry's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
1 week 2 days ago #6590 by Barron Von Parry
Setting Alpha Ignition Timing was created by Barron Von Parry
Do you set ignition timing at 4-5K with the alpha ignition?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Scot
More
1 week 2 days ago #6591 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic Setting Alpha Ignition Timing
I've moved your post into a new topic so that it will get the attention it deserves and will be easier to find for others in the future.

The bike spends most of its life at full advance, and that's where the timing should always be set. The Alpha systems I've used seem to reach full advance at about 3000 RPM, but I always check it at 4-5000 just to make sure.

On single spark bikes, use the line engraved under the "Z" mark on the flywheel.

For twin spark bikes, center the top of the tab on which the "Z" mark is stamped in the timing window.

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Barron Von Parry
  • Barron Von Parry's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
1 day 21 hours ago #6625 by Barron Von Parry
Replied by Barron Von Parry on topic Setting Alpha Ignition Timing
So get the revs up to 4k and then check to see if Z is in the lower part of the window with the timing light if not adjust the EI advanced or retarded accordingly?

More
1 day 21 hours ago #6626 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Setting Alpha Ignition Timing

Barron Von Parry wrote: So get the revs up to 4k and then check to see if Z is in the lower part of the window with the timing light if not adjust the EI advanced or retarded accordingly?

The way I read Scot's replay is that the indicator line is UNDER the "Z". Therefore the "Z" will be in the top of the window when the line gets to the center of the window. If not, then, as you said, play with said bean can position until it is.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.451 seconds