The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon '88 GS: Fuel tank

• Tundrakrampus
  • Tundrakrampus's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #6025 by Tundrakrampus
'88 GS: Fuel tank was created by Tundrakrampus
Hi A-Heads,
I am completing my winter repairs on my GS . I had to redo all my fuel lines. Took the time and removed that annoying POS flapper valve in the fuel inlet (boy should have done that 20 years ago). It's been a while since the tank was off and rinsed. There was an ungodly amount of crap in it. and quit a bit of the red paint (chips and flakes) that lines the tank. I still have a few things I need to fix before the termination dust melts enough to ride. My question is should I re-line the tank with something? My experience in the past with tank liners is not that great. Any recommendations? I did buy 2 new brass mess filters that slip over the spigot ends and always run in line filters.

Cheers TK
Last edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Wobbly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 months 1 week ago #6029 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic '88 GS: Fuel tank
My experience has not been all that great with tank sealers either.

If you'll follow my suggestions on storage, and NOT keep ethanol fuels in the tank over winter or other long periods, then you should be just fine with what you have. Empty and vented is the key.

BTW, be sure and remove your petcocks and clean out around them....

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

• Tundrakrampus
  • Tundrakrampus's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
4 months 1 week ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #6034 by Tundrakrampus
Replied by Tundrakrampus on topic '88 GS: Fuel tank
Thanks! Luckily we don't have Ethanol fuels in Alaska. tanks is mostly kept full. Mostly was just wondering if there is a better product than than when I had to resort to one about 20 years ago. Will go through the spigots thoroughly before reinstall. Thanks again TK
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Wobbly. Reason: Mods changed "AK" to Alaska

More
4 months 1 week ago #6035 by Scott Ambler
Replied by Scott Ambler on topic '88 GS: Fuel tank
I just cleaned all the rust out of my tank (vinegar worked great) and relined it with a POR-15 system available through Amazon. It worked really well.

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #6560 by tomkilde
Replied by tomkilde on topic '88 GS: Fuel tank
I de-rusted my '83 tank with vinegar about a year ago and coated it with POR-15. Most of it is holding up well, except at the very bottom of the tank, where the sealer has started to de-laminate. I suppose the rust was worst here, and the vinegar didn't get it all. Now I have a real problem - how to remove the loose sealer before re-treating the rust? I filled the tank with acetone, but the POR-15 didn't even blink. I tried dissolving a loose piece of sealer in modern non-methylene chloride paint stripper. It softened the sealer, but didn't dissolve it. I called POR-15 for help, and they told me told me that old-school paint stripper with methylene chloride or a hot tank with caustic soda are the only things that would work. As far as I know, both of these are now banned by the EPA, but it looks like you can still find old stock of the paint stripper online. Before I go ahead and potentially create an even bigger problem, are there any other solutions? I thought I might try to find a place with an oven that could bake/burn the liner out. Of course that would remove the outside paint too. The paint and pinstripes are original, and I would hate to lose them, but they're not in the best condition.
Attachments:

More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #6561 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic '88 GS: Fuel tank

Tundrakrampus wrote: Thanks! Luckily we don't have Ethanol fuels in Alaska.

According to what I'm reading on-line, this statement is not true. Alaska does have fuels laden with a low percentage of Ethanol. In fact, alcohol laden fuels were first used in northern states to rid the fuel system of water, which accumulates in fuel tanks due to condensation brought on by the wide temperature swings in cold weather states. Please check this again.

Now you may have the option of buying, non-ethanol fuel and exercise that right, but that's another matter entirely.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Wobbly.

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.526 seconds