The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon '75 R75/6: Loud Ticking

• Scott Ambler
  • Scott Ambler's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #5961 by Scott Ambler
'75 R75/6: Loud Ticking was created by Scott Ambler
1975 R75/6 Barn Find Resurrection - Finally back on the road. First 50 miles were smooth, good power, nice idle. Recently though, it coughs and sputters at low speed, but once I gas it, everything is better. When I get home after a 7 minute ride, the idle is not bad, but the clicking from the front of the engine is LOUD. It doesn’t click when cold. Only once warmed up. Any thoughts?
Last edit: 1 week 2 days ago by Wobbly. Reason: Mods altered title

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #5964 by 8053
Replied by 8053 on topic '75 R75/6: Loud Ticking
I can offer a few thoughts on the topic.
1) First off, I have never experienced an issue like that myself, so this would be an exercise in guess work.
2) Two things happen when a motor gets warmed up. Parts expand ever so slightly, and motor oil thins to its normal consistency when circulating in the motor. Assuming the oil pressure light (which is amber) is functioning correctly, -illuminated when you turn the key on before starting the motor,- does it ever flicker when the motor is at idle when warmed up?
3) You might try using a long screw driver as a stethoscope (unless you have an actual stethoscope) to pinpoint the the location of the clicking sound.

James Strickland, IL. Airmarshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scott Ambler

More
1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #5965 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic '75 R75/6: Loud Ticking
Jim gave you some good ideas.

I'd suggest removing the front engine cover (after you disconnect the battery) for a closer look and listen. The best I can come up with is the cam chain, which is directly behind the alternator. Worn chains can flap around. There is a "chain follower", that takes up slack, but they can also get worn and even break. There is also a later model spring that helps tension the chain. (I also believe the tensioner is oil pressure assisted. So back to Jim's remark on oil pressure.)

There is also the odd chance that the ball bearing has gone bad from years of sitting. The bearings can develop a small rust spot when oil isn't circulated, and the balls "chatter" when they hit that part of the bearing race. The bearing is not going to explode or do anything crazy, they simply sit there and make lots of noise. There will be slightly more metal in the oil filter and the noise will simply get worse as the balls are slowly destroyed.

If you decide to remove the inner cover, then you'll want to do the whole job: chain, tensioner, spring, bearing, seals and o-ring. The work is straight forward. You will also need the Alternator Puller Tool. Allow maybe 3 hours.

Hope this helps.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
Last edit: 1 week 2 days ago by Wobbly.

• Scott Ambler
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #5966 by Scott Ambler
Replied by Scott Ambler on topic '75 R75/6: Loud Ticking
Oil pressure light is working normally. Stethoscope is my next move. The ticking does not appear to be coming from either side, more from the front. Thanks for the thoughts. I will post more as I figure it out.

• Scott Ambler
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
1 week 2 days ago #5967 by Scott Ambler
Replied by Scott Ambler on topic '75 R75/6: Loud Ticking
Thanks Wobbly,
I do intend to dive into the timing chain in the future, but I think this noise is too "mechanical and regular" to be something flopping around. It is as if someone is tapping on the cased in a very regular pattern that speeds up and slows down with the engine.

Going to try listening with a stethoscope to see if I can isolate the noise. DOES seem to be more in the middle than from either side. Thanks!

More
1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #5969 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic '75 R75/6: Loud Ticking
Within the last 60 days there has been a similar complaint, and the problem turned put to be the bearing.

airheads.org/forum/my-airhead-needs-help...lternator-noise#5777

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
Last edit: 1 week 2 days ago by Wobbly.

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.131 seconds