The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Airhead Parking Bulb Clip Needed

• Oldskool
  • Oldskool's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #5888 by Oldskool
Airhead Parking Bulb Clip Needed was created by Oldskool
Long story, the headlamp fell out of the bike (R90/6) and crashed to the ground. The lens broke but fortunately replacements are readily available. However the parking bulb clip disappeared and THAT part is not sold separately. If any of you kind souls have one you’d be willing to part with, I’d be most appreciative. Thank you!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Oldskool
  • Oldskool's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #5889 by Oldskool
Replied by Oldskool on topic Airhead Parking Bulb Clip Needed
In the meantime I stuffed a zip tie in there which seems to work pretty well.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #6115 by 14517
Replied by 14517 on topic Airhead Parking Bulb Clip Needed
I used duct tape on mine, as I couldn’t source one either.

More
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #6151 by 1559
Replied by 1559 on topic Airhead Parking Bulb Clip Needed
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configuration.
. Owning several old motorcycles and knowing how little there is that holds the whole mess together on all of them. Plus the fact they are ALL as rare as hens teeth, I have learned that an attaching strong string is a necessary tether. Also know that you are dealing with a german maker, so ~ ~ Think Outside the Box ~ ~ ~ and VW and / or an english makers SMITHS when dealing with instruments.

BTW , if you haven't figured out by now that using tethers on most anything motocycle is essential there's still time to learn b4 you loose something else. . . . .

That tether is also needed on Craven pannier top lids, rain covers on tank bags . . another good spot for a tether are the 2 side battery covers . . . . . . .. . . . . but that's another day.

Back to bm's, I placed a strong nylon tether cord, it's about 8-10" long. , anchored to the inside H/L shell and found a strong point of attachment on the reflector ( i think I drilled a very small hole into the relay bracket tab ) - On the lens assembly is a small opening between the main H4 socket and the pilot bulb holder. That's the point of lens anchor.

www.jbugs.com/product/111957357A.html

www.google.com/search?q=VW+Speedometer+B...QBA&biw=1146&bih=541
BE VERY CAREFUL which bulb holder you order a BA7 is very different than a BA9

NOW to go onward with my adaptation of something I did 6-7yrs ago, when LED Cree bulbs came out. I had to as I always do ~ ~ Think outside the box ~ ~ ~

I used a soldering iron and added about 10 -12" long - gnd & hot 12vdc, 22-24 ga 2 wires to the base of the early bulbs. No base socket on those early bulbs used on modern car dash lights. Today those base types are readily available .

Next because the bulb is small and the depth of the bmw pilot hole is 5/8- 7/8" .. . . I needed to extend the 5 lens pilot bulb further into the reflector hole to take full advantage of the light diodes. Because the fit was looser than the stock
I kept adding more hot glue and made the fit long and tight. I added a wire tether to this bulb [ also held in situ by the glue ] , So it wouldn't fall inside the socket & lens which could damage the silver reflector.

This bulb is 4 sided and 1 end lens = 5 lens. NOW they make a whole array of bulbs and I'd use a 9 lens bulb whenever I get back into the SRS fairing in the future. The new LED is a brighter color white .

So ALL but the H4 main H/L bulb are LEDs on my 1974 R90SRS

. Harry

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by 1559.

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.194 seconds