The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon RT Headlight Reflector Deflector Removal

• 8166's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Scot
More
1 month 1 week ago #5638 by 8166

Inside the headlight reflector of my '95 R100RT is a deflector like shield that prevents light from exiting directly to the front. I've never been impressed with this headlight, and now that I've installed an LED lamp in it, it's not much better. I installed Hella H4 reflectors in a car recently, and experienced the same issue. I very carefully cut up the deflectors and snuck them out the hole, and the results were very impressive. I'm tempted to do the same thing to the BMW deflector, but if I'm wrong, the price of replacing it is daunting. Just curious if anyone else had performed similar butchery, and if so, what were the results.

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Check out the Yankee Hill AirTech Weekend, April 25-26, 2020
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Scot
More
1 month 1 week ago #5643 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic RT Headlight Reflector Deflector Removal

Looks like I may have answered my own question. Once I saw from the parts diagram that the headlight lens could be separated from the reflector, I thought I'd take a chance at taking them apart in hopes of nondestructively removing the deflector. And after warming up the seal between the two, I was able to get them apart. A blob of silicon seal covered the lower prong of the deflector where it pierced the reflector, but some careful scraping with a plastic spudger removed enough of it to let me push the prong back through the slot. As soon as it was clear, the deflector dropped right out. A fresh dab of silicon covered the hole, and the assembly is back in the bike ready for another test ride to see if that improved the pattern. I'll update with the results, but the weather might not cooperate for several days.

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

More
1 month 1 week ago #5650 by murphyam53
Replied by murphyam53 on topic RT Headlight Reflector Deflector Removal
Scott,
I found this youtube video that asks and answers your very question

Andy
ABC# 15601

More
1 month 1 week ago #5652 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic RT Headlight Reflector Deflector Removal
It's an awfully wordy video showing how the sub-reflector simply un-clips from the main reflector. Just zoom it right to minute 10 and you won't miss anything important.

What's not explained is the results of doing this removal.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Scot
More
1 month 1 week ago #5654 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic RT Headlight Reflector Deflector Removal
Thanks for posting this, Andy. Would'a come in a little handier yesterday. ;)

Interesting to see that BMW's been using that same headlight and rim since /5 days. I guess you can't improve on perfection, huh?

What he didn't do, and this might explain the water spots he's seeing on the reflector, is to use a little silicon seal to close up the top hole in the reflector where that metal shield prong pierced it. The end of the prong was sealed with silicon seal on my RT, and I did the same before I put the reflector back together.

And I used isopropal alcohol and a soft, lint free microfiber towel to clean both lens and reflector. They came out looking brand new.

And like the video's author, I'm waiting for the weather to improve before I can see if this was a good mod or not.

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.189 seconds