The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon /7 LED Tail light bulb

More
5 months 1 week ago #4927 by Big Bill
Replied by Big Bill on topic /7 LED Tail light bulb
Sorry my bike is a 76 R90/6 Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 months 1 week ago #4928 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic /7 LED Tail light bulb

Big Bill wrote: Is the Beacon a plug and play setup. On mine the blinkers are tied into the unit inside the tail light unit, do they have provisions for the blinkers to plug into? Thanks for any info.

On the Beacon unit I have (the /7 dual bulb tail lamp) it has the flat circuit board and three 6" leads. It is mounted using only the 2 tail lamp lens screws. The circuit board is physically captured (sandwiched) between the TL body and the red lens when you secure the lens to the motorcycle.

On my unit, I had to add connectors to the 3 leads. These are common 1/4" "spade terminals, both male and female. In that way I can simply plug them into the stock BMW tail lamp harness without any changes. Better still, if I ever upgrade my 1979 /7 to (say for instance) a 1983 model, then I can take the lamp with me by simply plugging the OEM lamp unit back in. No changes are made to the bike or harness.

On my 1979 /7, the connections for turn signals are inside the same TL housing, but the wiring for the turn signals is not involved in the Beacon installation, or changed in any way. Any flasher modules you might have added that interconnect the turn signals to the brake lamp are electrically connected the exact same way. With the Beacon units, you're simply swapping the stock replaceable bulb base(s) for an LED circuit board.

Hope that's clear.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

More
5 months 1 week ago #4930 by Big Bill
Replied by Big Bill on topic /7 LED Tail light bulb
Thanks Wobbly, that Beacon unit is on my radar.

More
5 months 1 week ago - 3 months 4 weeks ago #4931 by 1559
Replied by 1559 on topic /7 LED Tail light bulb
rick jones tail lamp / brake lamp all LED

side blinkers are all LED. amber turn signal, red tail lamps too. done 5-6yrs ago

license plate brake lamp. ALL Above lamps are LED. the electropods are from ebay. rick jones / motoelektric sells the tail lamp LED array. i made a new blinker plate to glue the electropods to and 1 is RED . . . . . the other is AMBER

. Harry

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 months 4 weeks ago by 1559.

More
5 months 1 week ago #4934 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic /7 LED Tail light bulb
Neat job, Harry !!

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

• thundermotive
  • thundermotive's Avatar Topic Author
  • Toaster Level
  • Toaster Level
More
5 months 3 days ago #4959 by thundermotive
Replied by thundermotive on topic /7 LED Tail light bulb
I've installed the bulbs, the tail and brake light work great, however with 4 led bulbs in the turn signals all 4 flash when either left or right is selected. I'm using an electronic flasher from Super Bright LED's. The problem goes away if I use one led and one incandescent per side. Do I need a ballast resistor?

Moderators: Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.541 seconds