The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Vibration R100GS

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #6435 by 16077
Vibration R100GS was created by 16077
Crazy idea. Anyone ever go backwards and put in a heavier fly wheel in a 1993 R100GSPD? I find this motor vibrates a ton. Oak even said they should have kept the flywheels heavier to "quell" vibration.

thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #6436 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic Vibration R100GS
I'll let someone else comment on swapping out the flywheel, but before I did that I'd cover the basics.

Verify/adjust timing at full advance.

Check/adjust valve clearance.

Go for a LONG ride to get the carbs hot, then balance them. I use a Twinmax for that, and it works well.

Check the torque on the engine mounting studs.

Check the drive shaft u-joints for any play.

While you've got it out, put the transmission in neutral and turn the output flange with your fingers. If you feel anything but buttery smooth rotation, it's time for a rebuild.

Check your tires for uneven wear and balance.

Check your wheels for trueness.

If after all that, you're still having issues, it could be the clutch carrier (not the flywheel). If someone had it apart and didn't pay attention to the balance marks when they put it back together, it will also cause a vibration.

You'll find prodcedures for doing most of that work in the Tech Tips section of this website, or at Snowbum's site.

Let us know what you find...

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #6441 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Vibration R100GS
I'll second all Scot's suggestions. I once had an 1988 RS that was extremely buzzy in the bars and foot pegs. I did a basic tune-up with timing and carb balance. It was dead smooth after that. If I had been blindfolded I'd have sworn it was a different bike.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

More
1 week 5 days ago #6451 by 16077
Replied by 16077 on topic Vibration R100GS
Thanks for the advice. I've gone through most of that... Should have said this vibration can be felt on the center stand at RPMs over 2,500. Most pronounced over 3,000 RPMs. So I isolate this issue to the motor. Also did the transmission test to eliminate the tranny. Both clutch and transmission have been updated.

But I do need to test the timing - although I would think it would start hard and run poorly if the timing was off. Which is not the case. Starts fine and runs up the revs smoothly. But I'll check.

I also tried my local air marshal's 1987 R100GS. Not a PD but same size engine and layout. We both felt the 93 PD vibrated a lot more than the 87 (which had some of this). Different saddle? Stiffer frames? I really don't like riding it.

thanks

More
1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #6457 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Vibration R100GS

16077 wrote: I really don't like riding it.

That's truly a shame. But motorcycles will vary like that from bike to bike. I thought my '78 RT was smooth until I test rode a friend's '81 RT.

But do look at the timing at full advance. When I set the timing on that '88, the bike was new to me and I was simply doing a check over/ preventative work. The fact it smoothed out was a complete surprise.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
Last edit: 1 week 5 days ago by Wobbly.

More
1 week 5 days ago #6458 by 16077
Replied by 16077 on topic Vibration R100GS
That is encouraging. Taking care of an aging parent right now, but when I get home I'll check for sure. It would be so great to solve this. The suspension on the PD is amazing. The upright position really nice. The bags and racks make it a great touring bike. But the vibration sucks!

I'm going to try and have a tech day in MA for this. Will report.

Thanks again.

Moderators: 8166Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.050 seconds