The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon '94 R100R Idles on one cylinder

More
4 months 14 hours ago #5846 by murty
'94 R100R Idles on one cylinder was created by murty
My R100R has 14K miles. It suddenly started idling on one cylinder a couple of days ago. When I roll on the throttle a bit the left cylinder starts firing and above 2000 RPM the bike runs great.

I removed the left idle jet and blew it out with compressed air - no change.

Last night after dark I was running the bike in the driveway and I noticed that the left exhaust pipe was red hot!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #5848 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic '94 R100R Idles on one cylinder
In the past, I've seen idle jets that were plugged with a hard, yet clear, deposit that would look like there was no blockage, but was cleared using a weldor's tip cleaner or guitar string. So you might want to check that jet again.

But if the pipe was red, that to me says that there's a lot of fuel burning in the header. Most likely cause of that is a stuck enrichener. So look on the bike side of the carb body and watch the enrichener lever move while you move the lever on the handlebar. If it's stuck, you've found your problem. Also, check to make sure it's reaching the stops on each end of its range by pushing it with a finger. If the lever isn't fully in the ON position when you're trying to start the bike, you'll have trouble with it not catching right away, especially on cold days.

Try those two things, and let us know what you find.

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #5853 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic '94 R100R Idles on one cylinder

8166 wrote: In the past, I've seen idle jets that were plugged, but was cleared using a weldor's tip cleaner or guitar string.

This last is, of course, a "California thing". In the South we greatly prefer the use of a banjo string.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #5918 by murty
Replied by murty on topic '94 R100R Idles on one cylinder
Thanks for the help! Here's what I did so far:

I replaced the idle jet and idle mixture screw on the left carb. Swapped spark plugs R to L. Visually inspected the L spark plug wire. No difference, left cylinder does not fire when idling but starts firing as soon as the throttle is advanced. Seems fine above 2000 rpm.

Best,
Paul

More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #5922 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic '94 R100R Idles on one cylinder

murty wrote: Visually inspected the L spark plug wire.

Paul -
You can't see the issue with ignition parts. If the parts are over 5 years old, then replace the wires with METAL CORE wires (not modern car wires), NGK 5K Ohm plug caps, and 2 new BP7ES plugs. You can get all this at any good LAPS for under $20.

Try that.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Wobbly.

More
3 months 2 weeks ago #5923 by murty
Replied by murty on topic '94 R100R Idles on one cylinder
I swapped plug wires, still not idling on L cylinder... ?

Best,
Paul

Moderators: 8166Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.032 seconds