The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Recommendation on Scotties Workshop

More
1 week 4 days ago #5717 by Pfix
Thinking of sending my 90S cylinders out to Scotties on West Coast to have them media blasted, repainted, SS pushrods tubes installed, checked for spec., Nikasil plated, honed and Pistons w/ rings installed.
Has anyone used them?
Recommend them?
Appreciate any information

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #5718 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic Recommendation on Scotties Workshop
I used PowerSeal USA to repair damaged Nikasil coatings on a pair of R100R cylinders last year. Sent them the cylinders and pistons, had everything back in hand in three weeks. Haven't assembled the engine yet, but the work seems first class and they get great reviews.

They need the pushrod tubes to be out of the cylinders, and will charge you if they do it. Better to snag a set of stainless steel pushrod tubes from any of the Emerald Island suppliers along with the special drift, and do the work yourself. There are how-tos in the technical article section here, or at gunsmoke.com in the R100RT pages.

Be very careful getting any engine part bead blasted, as the beads can embed themselves in soft aluminum and get loose inside the engine. Better to find a shop that has Vapor Hone equipment and let them handle that part for you, after you get the jugs back from PowerSeal.

Tim Stafford had a post on Facebook recently where he was painting R90S cylinders. Dig that up for the name of the coating he used.

FWIW, I had some work done by Scotty's on my R69S, and I wasn't very happy with either the work or the price. YMMV.

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Check out the Yankee Hill AirTech Weekend, April 25-26, 2020

More
1 week 4 days ago #5720 by Pfix
Replied by Pfix on topic Recommendation on Scotties Workshop
Thank you for the information
I was trying to lighten my load and find a one stop shop to handle everything I wanted done on the cylinders.
But might need to rethink it.

More
1 week 4 days ago #5721 by 8166
Replied by 8166 on topic Recommendation on Scotties Workshop
Hmmm.

Refer to Canon #6...

8166 Scot Marburger, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Check out the Yankee Hill AirTech Weekend, April 25-26, 2020

Moderators: 8166Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.155 seconds