The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Can't get my R65 to start

• Tarheel
  • Tarheel's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
2 weeks 1 day ago #5703 by Tarheel
Can't get my R65 to start was created by Tarheel
Hi all,

Looking for some direction to get my '84 R65 to start. I bought the bike about a year ago, it ran but a little rough. Do to an injury I had to store it for for about 7 months. When I got it out of storage it wouldn't start so i took it to a local shop for a pretty extensive overhaul. I forget all of what they did, but it was a laundry list. it ran alright when I picked it up, but unfortunately I had to leave for some military training soon after I picked it up and with the holidays, the bike sat for a month outside under a cover.

I went to ride it this weekend, and it would not fire up. I tried several combinations of full choke, half choke, no choke, some throttle, no throttle....nothing. towards the end, as the battery was weakening I had a few chuffs while using no throttle and no choke, but had to stop for fear of wiping out the battery.

Any ideas where to begin?

Thanks,
Kyle

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #5704 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Can't get my R65 to start
Welcome !

1) Here's my top 3 guesses....
• Stale, out of date gasoline

2) Now the stale gasoline has also fouled the plugs (replace) and most probably clogged the carbs (rebuild).

3) Then read this as follow up...
airheads.org/forum/technical-discussions...ead-back-on-the-road

Hope this helps.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel

More
2 weeks 12 hours ago #5705 by Humble Bub
Replied by Humble Bub on topic Can't get my R65 to start
100% agree with Wobbly. I had a similar circumstance with an 84 R80. I drained tank, flush with clean fuel, change plugs and bike started and ran ‘fair’. I also discovered a cracked coil which allowed moisture to prevent starting. After replacing coil the bike was excellent. I got lucky and carbs did not require rebuild. The coil crack was not readily visible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarheel

More
2 weeks 5 hours ago - 2 weeks 5 hours ago #5707 by Wobbly
The thing is, 99% of the problem is inside the carbs... BUT if you can simply get the bike to run "pretty good", then you can start using a high-octane, name brand fuel (which most probably has a cleaner built into the fuel). If you wish, you can supplement that cleaning action with a product called StarTron (sold anywhere they sell lawn mowers and powered garden tools). THEN, as you ride the hard to get to areas of the carb and fuel system will be scrubbed spotlessly clean.

The bike will start to run better and better every time it's ridden. The transformation will be very impressive !

Read up on Top Tier Fuels here: www.toptiergas.com/

Last edit: 2 weeks 5 hours ago by Wobbly.

• Tarheel
  • Tarheel's Avatar Topic Author
  • R100 Level
  • R100 Level
More
1 week 6 days ago #5708 by Tarheel
Replied by Tarheel on topic Can't get my R65 to start
Thanks very much! I am going to hit all of the above this Saturday and will report back with the result! I know that the carbs were rebuilt as part of the big service the bike had recently, if i can get around rebuilding the carbs using the StarTron that would be great!

Kyle

More
1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #5712 by Wobbly

Tarheel wrote: Thanks very much! I am going to hit all of the above this Saturday and will report back with the result! I know that the carbs were rebuilt as part of the big service the bike had recently, if i can get around rebuilding the carbs using the StarTron that would be great!

Kyle -
Very positive thinking, but unfortunately that not how it goes. North American fuel goes bad, starting about 6 weeks after purchase, unless you take steps to "stabilize" the fuel. That is to say, the gasoline and alcohol start to separate, and then things REALLY get out of control. It all blows up in your face in the fuel tank, in the fuel lines and inside the carbs. StarTron will help stabilize ethanol fuels.

It does NOT matter that you just had this work done. You've now allowed the bike to sit with fuel in all 3 places, so the clogging and corrosion start up fresh all over again. Go directly to jail. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Highly advised, sir, that if you park the bike for longer than 4 weeks, simply drop the float bowls off both carbs. If you need to leave the country again (and thank you for your service) simply empty ALL the fuel from the tank, lines and carbs. In that way you'll come back to a runner just like you left.

Carburetors work by vacuum, and there is simply not enough to pressure with vacuum to clear a completely clogged jet, orifice, or passage way. However, if the cleaners can pass through an area that's only restricted, then they will wash it out back to a "showroom" clean state within a couple of weeks. StarTron will enhance the cleaning properties found in the better grades of ethanol fuels.

Hope this helps.

Last edit: 1 week 5 days ago by Wobbly.

Moderators: 8166Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.454 seconds