The Airheads Beemer Club is a non-profit club reclaiming the 'Legendary Motorcycles of Germany'

Topic-icon Heat from RT Fairing?

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #5188 by 14570
Heat from RT Fairing? was created by 14570
A very well respected enthusiast on the MOA forum stated that the Airhead RT fairings trap engine heat in the rider's comfort zone making RT's unpleasant during warm weather riding. Could some RT owners and former owners please comment on this?

Thank you,
Clayfoot
(Savannah, GA)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #5195 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Heat from RT Fairing?
The whole idea of any fairing is to create a "dead air space" behind the screen. If it was not so, then the rider would be covered in rain, dust, trash, etc.... everything the rider is trying to avoid !! So, what your "well respected enthusiast" in effect is saying is something akin to "nighttime is dark". :P

• The RT fairing has vents that can be aimed.

• The "lowers" can be removed for summer riding.

• And, in years past it was very popular to buy pop-in vents sold by Vetter. You'd bore a 3" hole in the screen and pop these clear vents into the hole. They could be opened or closed, and swiveled around for aiming or to prevent entry by rain.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by Wobbly. Reason: Added name and photo
The following user(s) said Thank You: 11162

More
3 months 1 week ago #5971 by R90/5
Replied by R90/5 on topic Heat from RT Fairing?
Please forgive the resurrection, but to add my two cents from personal experience:

For a number of years I owned an '81`R100 RT and a /5 at the same time and commuted to work by bike about 25 miles each way if the weather was at all "permitting."

At that time, if friends asked what the RT felt like, I would tell them that in any sort of "nice" weather, it was "like riding on a wood stove." I never felt that those fairing vents provided me with anything other than faint hope.

My personal observation was that the RT was good for about 10⁰F of decreased temperature. In other words, if the bare /5 became intolerable at about 45⁰F, the RT was tolerable down to about 35⁰. Below that, I was riding an icebox no matter what I did.

Since I also found the RT to be pretty much intolerably warm above about 65⁰F, it turned out that in practice, I only rode it in bad weather. One day I looked in the mirror, said, "Why the heck am I riding in bad weather - I hate riding in bad weather" and suddenly I had no real use for the RT, so I sold it. That was about 25 years ago, and I never missed it (thought I do sometimes miss riding that bike without the fairing...).

I hope my comment is helpful to someone as it echoes from the dead-thread tomb...

- Eric

More
3 months 1 week ago #5973 by 14570
Replied by 14570 on topic Heat from RT Fairing?
Eric,

That is useful and interesting information. The 10 degrees cooler RT advantage and above 65 degrees is too warm are good ways to quantify life with an RT.

I have recently sold a R90S (silver smoke version), and acquired a ‘88 R100 GS (Alpine white w/blue seat), and still have the ‘73 R75/5 (Granada red toaster). So, for now, no RT in my near future.

Mark
Savannah, GA

More
2 months 2 weeks ago #6211 by Wobbly
Replied by Wobbly on topic Heat from RT Fairing?
Edited my prior post with a source and photo

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #6373 by Gappy
Replied by Gappy on topic Heat from RT Fairing?
I find the RT fair quite tolerable. After 85 degrees F anything you ride is hot. And if you spend a few days in in temperatures in the mid 90’s to 100+ you become acclimated and it is not so much a problem. I will tell you that I don’t wear much body protection except a mesh jacket ( and I will ride without that sometimes), an ultra light half helmet mesh boots and gloves when it gets that hot. After the sun goes down the fairing is not a problem at all for me. You don’t know what hot is until you have spent any time on a full dress Goldwing or Aspencade, form the 80’s. They are like riding a blast furnace.
Attachments:

Moderators: 14652Wobbly
Time to create page: 1.244 seconds